Admission to the doctoral program is open to those who meet the formal requirements and would like to undertake a research project which links the research fields and clusters associated with HKB or the University of Bern.
- In order to apply for admission to the GSA, a person must be approved for doctoral studies as per the provisions set out in the regulations on doctorates (Promotionsreglement). Doctoral students are registered with the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Bern and their first supervisor will be a member of this faculty.
- A university master's degree or a degree which would entitle someone to study for a doctorate at a university. The overall grade for the master's degree must be "good" (5.0) or higher. Registration also requires a letter of recommendation from both the first supervisor at the University of Bern and the second supervisor at HKB.
- By Fall semester 2019, the MRA will be integrated into the doctoral program, that means, students will have to meet additional requirements of 30 to 60 ECTS in the first year of their doctoral studies. The future supervisors will let you know which additional services you would have to provide.
Entry-level competences for admission to the GSA are as follows:
- Competence in the language chosen for the person's own work and in English, and a passive knowledge of German with the minimum level of B1 (the language used for tuition purposes).
- A successful written presentation of the research project to the GSA jury.