Admission to the doctoral program is open to those who meet the formal requirements and would like to undertake a research project which links the research fields and clusters associated with HKB or the University of Bern.
- A university master's degree or a degree which would entitle someone to study for a doctorate at a university. The overall grade for the master's degree must be "good" (5.0) or higher. Registration also requires a letter of recommendation from both the first supervisor at the University of Bern and the second supervisor at HKB.
- Before applying to the GSA, graduates from a Swiss music and art school/academy must obtain the specialized Master in Research on the Arts awarded by the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Bern. The overall grade for this master's degree must be "good" (5.0) or higher. Registration also requires a letter of recommendation from both the first supervisor at the University of Bern and the second supervisor at HKB.
- In order to apply for admission to the GSA, a person must be approved for doctoral studies as per the provisions set out in the regulations on doctorates (art. 6 of the regulations on doctorates for 2011) (Promotionsreglement). Doctoral students are registered with the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Bern and their first supervisor will be a member of this faculty.
Entry-level competences for admission to the GSA are as follows:
- Competence in the language chosen for the person's own work and in English, and a passive knowledge of German with the minimum level of B1 (the language used for tuition purposes). Applicants will be expected to demonstrate these competences during the admission interview.
- Emphatic interest for practical research questions.
- A successful oral presentation of the research project before the GSA jury during the admission interview.